The Weston Communications team asks clients lots of questions – especially in the early days of getting to know them. They in turn, usually have lots of questions for us. In the interests of transparency, and for anyone who is considering using us, the following notes address all the questions we’re regularly asked. We’ll be adding to it regularly, as people ask us more questions…
- We’re keen followers of the Buffer culture and ethos – they do a lot of research into what makes for a happy team and we’re keen to emulate it.
- We have what clients call a “refreshingly unique approach” to our work. If you are someone who sells shoes to people who like to fish, we will not take on another client who does the same thing, whilst we are working for you. In fact, none of our team – whether under the Weston Communications umbrella or in their own individual work, will do that. It’s not how we roll. When we have big, juicy, brilliant ideas – and we have them regularly – we don’t want to have to flip a coin to determine client to give it to. We give you the best of us – every time.
- We want you to feel comfortable with us. If you want a company who have shiny offices and coffee machines we’re probably not for you. If you don’t mind your coffee shaken and not stirred when we’re out of spoons, then we’ll get along fine!
- We don’t wear suits to work, although we scrub up nicely when we need to.
- We work from different places, depending on the type of work we’re doing. This is not just a reflection of the fact that we are a distributed team. We can work from the office at the end of Liz’s garden, from our kitchen tables and even from outside our children’s swimming lessons if something unplanned happens. Liz leaves it up to us – she recruits team members who deliver and doesn’t question how we do it!
- We might occasionally work odd hours, because many of us work around our families. You don’t pay a premium for us to work unsociable hours and whilst we don’t guarantee to be always available out of regular hours when you have a problem or a question, we often are! What we can guarantee is that we are always thinking of our clients, wherever we are! We’re known for taking photos of seemingly random things that clients might find interesting or useful and sending them to them, for reference and information.
- You can expect us to reply to your emails within 5 working hours of them arriving in our inbox. If you email us at 9am, we’ll reply to you by 1pm. If you email us at 4pm, you can expect to hear from us by 12 noon the next day. We usually reply much, much quicker than this – even if it’s a holding email to say that we’re on site with a client or committed for that morning / afternoon.
- Liz founded us to be a collaboration of freelancers. Most of us work remotely, which means that there will always be someone available to do your work. You might not meet all of us in person, but we all represent Weston Communications in client facing roles on email. We believe that the distance between you and the person creating and curating your content should be as short as possible – this helps us speak, write and communicate in your voice. Of course you can always pick up the phone and talk to Liz – she’s not just the name and face of Weston Communications – she’s also the manager, planner and creative force behind everything we do.
- If something happens and you’re not happy with our work, or we’re not happy with our work for you, we’ll be honest about it and make sure that we either change what we’re doing or help you find the right person for your work as soon as possible. This is never an easy conversation to have but we want you to succeed, so we figure that honesty is the best policy.
- On a more positive note – if we’re working for you, it’s because we love your business and we love shouting about you! It’s a Team rule that we don’t work for anyone who we wouldn’t recommend to our friends and family. This is how we write authentic content and come up with strategies that are so successful: we spend an inordinate amount of time working out who you are, how you work, which tone you want to take online and how to get into your mindset and outlook for all things social media, marketing and communications. We make you feel like a celebrity – there’s no stone unturned in our pursuit of getting it right. Seriously, it’s no accident that our content sounds reflects the things you’ve been thinking about, but not gotten round to sharing with us yet – we put a lot of effort into getting it right.
- We provide you with an intentionally simple contract – an agreement of what we will produce, liaise upon and work on, each month, for you. We will also ask you to sign our NDA – non disclosure agreement. If you want us to also sign yours, that’s fine.
- We invoice our clients at the end of each month. This is for the work done in that month. Our payment terms require payment as cleared funds in our account within 10 working days. We get very grumpy when a client doesn’t pay on time. Our emails reflect this – you really do not want to be on Hannah’s naughty step. It’s a sad and lonely place to be.
- When we start working together, we’ll invoice you for the first month of work, before we begin. Once those initial funds have cleared, we will not bill you again, until the end of the second month. You’ll then be billed monthly for our services and we’ll ask you to pay within 10 working days, along with the rest of our clients.
- We usually work with clients for a minimum of a six month period. This allows time for us to get to really know you and your business, to produce initial results and evolve and iterate our activities so that all changes can be made and effects identified.
- In the first couple of months where we work together, we’ll be in touch more than once a week by email, checking in, establishing what’s working, what you like and what you want us to change. From there on in, we allow for weekly emails, sharing of Sprout Social statistics reports and a monthly check in for 30 minutes by phone or Skype. If you’d like more of our time, we’re more than happy to provide it and will add it to your monthly invoice.
- We don’t look for opportunities to add costs to your invoices. There’s no flashy client dinners – we’re more likely to send you a Valentine’s card or some mini eggs for Easter.
We are Weston Communications. We don’t just want you to be happy with our work – we want you to be “Hammock Happy” – to hand over your work to us and then go sit in a hammock (even better if you’ve got a real one), so that you have time to focus on the other things you want to do for your business whilst we Crack On with the do list. We want to help you be successful and happy. Let’s talk about how we can do that!